With the Holidays coming up, we thought you should know about the everyday foods we consume that can be very toxic to our furry friends. If your kitty ever ingests any of the following, be sure to call us IMMEDIATELY!
- Alcohol can cause severe liver and brain damage. Even just a tablespoon can cause problems.
- Chocolate can cause muscle tremors, seizures, or heart problems if ingested. All forms of chocolate can cause these problems, but the most toxic is dark and cooking chocolate.
- Coffee, Tea, Energy Drinks. The caffeine in these drinks can cause your feline friend to become restless, have rapid breathing, heart palpitations and muscle tremors.
- Dairy Products. Even though all those cartoons show us how much cats love milk, some are actually lactose intolerant and if ingested can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
- Fat Trimmings, Raw Meat, Raw Eggs, Raw Fish. These can also cause them to have GI upset. Also, they can develop a condition called pancreatitis that is very painful for your pet. There is also an increased risk of Salmonella or E. coli if these foods are ingested.
- Grapes and Raisins. Your feline friend may not be so interested in these, but there is still a risk for them to develop problems.
- Onions and Garlic. If this is ingested in a sort of sauce, it will likely not cause problems. If a clove of garlic or green onion is ingested, it can cause digestive problems. Also, don’t let them eat this on a regular basis because this could lead to more severe problems, like anemia.
- Xylitol. This can cause major problems in dogs, and for that reason we also recommend keeping it out of reach from your feline.