Hey everyone! Summertime is a season we all know and love but when that sun gets hot, we look for ways to cool down. Some of our favorite fruits make refreshing snacks when trying to beat the heat. Now that summer is underway is important to know which fruits are good or bad for our pets to get their paws on!
- Good (Dog Safe) Fruits:
- Apples-This fruit contains antioxidants that help promote oxidation in the body and delay some cellar damage due to free radicals in foods we eat. Apples are high in a soluble fiber and offer relief of diarrhea and irritated intestinal tracts. Eating this delicious fruit will also aid in blood sugar regulation, protects the heart, and has anti-cancer benefits as well. This summer time goodie is a must have treat in our book!
- Berries- The rich blue, red, and purple colors in berries like blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, and blackberries have powerful antioxidant, anti-cancer, and anti-inflammatory perks. Berries also support heart health, and aid in memory health as well. You can feel good eating these little treats and your pet can too!
- Bananas- Looking for a snack FULL of nutritious value? Bananas are packed with vitamins A, B, & C, full of fiber, and are also rich in minerals like potassium, copper, magnesium, and manganese! Talk about having it all! Bananas are great to protect against chronic diseases like heart disease and diabetes.
- Cantaloupe- Who doesn’t love this summertime favorite! The sweet taste isn’t all we love about this fruit! Cantaloupe contains a lot of vitamins, antioxidants, and supports eye health. This pup friendly fruit makes a great summer time snack!
- Pears- Have a sensitive pooch? Pears are great for dogs with gentle systems as this is a low acidic fruit. Pectin a type of protein found in the skin of a pear is one of the best sources of fiber, making this fruit great to avoid digestive upset! Pears also have a lot of essential vitamins, phytonutrients, and minerals as well. Sensitive tummies will love this special fruit!
- Pineapple- High in vitamin C this yummy snack also has powerful antioxidant benefits. This fruit also has awesome enzymes that can decrease signs of arthritis! But remember too much of a GOOD thing can be BAD! Feeding this fruit in excess can lead to digestive upset with vomiting or diarrhea.
- Watermelon- Who doesn’t love this summertime favorite!? Watermelon is something we all think about when it comes to summertime. The cool flavor and refreshing taste isn’t all this fruit brings to the table…This low calorie snack has a high water content and cools your pup as they refresh! Also containing antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefits tails will be surely wagging for this sweet summer treat!
- Bad (Unsafe) Fruits:
- Avocado- This nutritious fruit made our BAD list because it is high in fat and has a large pit that can cause possible GI blockages. Avocados are often listed as poisonous to dogs but are actually generally pretty safe, they are deadly to some species of animals. Take caution when snacking on this green fruit!
- Oranges/Grapefruits- Citrus fruits are not bad because of the high contents of citrus but rather they are very acidic fruits and can cause GI upset. Dogs generally don’t like the bitter taste of citrus fruits anyway!
- Fruits with pits/seeds– Fruit pits contain cyanide which is toxic if consumed in large quantities. We should always remove pits and seeds from fruit before pets get their paws on them! Seeds and pits can lodge in throats or intestinal tracks causing blockages.
- Grapes/Raisins- This easy treat is sweet and refreshing but definitely a doggy no-no! Grapes and raisins can cause severe damage to the dogs kidneys and once that happens the damage is irreversible.
Knowing makes all the difference. Snack smart this summer and keep that furry friend happy and healthy! If you suspect your pet has had some of the fruits listed on the “BAD” list make sure to call your veterinarian and poison control for potential live saving advice.