Keeping Your Pet’s Teeth Clean With At-Home Dental Care
– Regular tooth brushing is the best way to prevent plaque and tartar on your pet’s teeth!
– Tooth brushing should be performed daily for best results
– Follow these steps:
o Only use toothpaste made for pets. Toothpaste made for people contains fluoride in concentrations that can make your pet sick.
o Brush all teeth using a pet toothbrush, starting at the front, working from the gum line to the tip of the tooth. Just focus on the outside of the teeth. No rinsing needed!
o When finished, give your pet a treat as a reward.
Dental Care Diet:
– There are several diets on the market that are labeled for dental care, however, only a few have been certified by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC), which means they have scientific evidence that the products actually reduce plaque and tartar. These products should be used daily as the primary diet for best results.
– We recommend Science Diet Oral Care (over-the-counter) for dogs and cats, or Prescription Diet t/d (available through the veterinary hospital) for dogs and cats.
– Ask your veterinarian if a dental care diet might be a good idea for your pet
Dental Care Chews and Treats:
– There are many chews and treats on the market that are labeled for dental care, however, only a few have been certified by VOHC. These products should also be used daily for best results.
– For dogs, we recommend: Greenies chews or Prescription Diet dental chews
o *** Chew toys are not the best option for all pets. Any chew toy that is swallowed in a large chunk could lead to intestinal obstruction. We recommend close monitoring of your pet to make sure your pet safely chews on the toy.
o Cow hooves, bones, and other hard chew toys are NOT appropriate as they can readily break teeth
– For cats, we recommend: Purina Pro Plan Dental Crunch treats or Greenies treats
– Ask your veterinarian if dental care chews/treats might be a good idea for your pet
Water Additives and Dental Wipes:
– There are several water additives and dental wipes on the market that are labeled for dental care, but only a few have been certified by VOHC. Daily use is recommended for best results.
– For dogs, we recommend: Dog:ESSENTIAL healthymouth water additive and Dog:ESSENTIAL healthymouth topical wipes
– For cats, we recommend: Cat:ESSENTIAL healthymouth water additive and Cat:ESSENTIAL healthymouth topical wipes