Holiday Hazards for Your Pets

By December 8, 2015Pet Talk

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year” (in our best singing voice…which is probably best that you cannot hear it!) As you get ready to decorate the house with all of your holiday gear, make sure those decorations do not make it into the wrong paws.  Although most of the decorative plants are fun and festive, they can also cause some serious problems for your furry friends that are not so fun (or pretty). Let’s be honest…no one wants to find a present covered in pine needle vomit (or diarrhea) under the tree on Christmas morning.

  • Holly: even just a few of the red berries of this plant are VERY toxic and can cause digestive issues.
  • Mistletoe: it may be perfect for smooching under with your pet, but make sure it is firmly attached to the doorway and out of paws reach.  Ingestion of the plant can lead to stomach problems.
  • Pointsettia: contrary to popular belief this plant is not as poisonous as previously thought, although it can still cause vomiting in your furry friends.
  • Christmas Lillies: can be very toxic to your little kitties. It not only can cause digestive problems, but can also cause damage to the liver and kidneys.
  • Christmas Trees: come in all shapes and sizes, but no matter if you choose fir or pine; the needles can cause vomiting if ingested.

Happy Holidays!

 

kitty

Leave a Reply