Adopting a new rescue pet, can be a very exciting time for you, but it can be a big and stressful adjustment for your pet. Here are some tips on how to help your furry friend adjust to their forever home.
- Get them into a routine that they can count on. Try feeding and walking them around the same time every day.
- Try a new training class with them. Not only will it be a good bonding experience for both of you, it may also teach them some new tricks! It can also help them with socializing with other pets.
- This one may seem pretty obvious, but PLAY! Play time is also a great way to bond with your pet, but can also keep their mind off of stressful things
- Exercise! This has great health benefits for your pet, also gives them some fresh air and can release some stress and tension.
- If you feel like these basic steps are not enough to help your pet calm down, you can also seek help from you Veterinarian to see if there may be some supplements, pheromones or possibly medications that help with the transition.
- The biggest things are time and patience. Understanding that this is not only stressful and adjustment for you, but also your new furry family member. Know that there are resources there to help you, like trainers or Veterinarians, so do not feel alone…reach out to us!
Here is a picture of Nikki’s sweet little boys that she adopted through A.C. Paw this Summer!