We know that sometimes it is hard enough to remember to brush our own teeth, so here are some tips to help clean your pet’s pearly whites!
- Only use toothpaste that is made for pets. Human toothpaste contains fluoride in concentrations that can make your pet sick and your pet will ingest most of the toothpaste. We know that teaching your pet to spit out the toothpaste probably isn’t on the top of your list, and if it is then you are a pro and I need you to come teach my lab how to heel!
- Brush all teeth using a pet toothbrush (we know how much you love your pet, but this is something you don’t want to have to share with them). Start at the front of the mouth, working from the gum line to the tip of the tooth. No need to rinse and spit like we do at the Dentist!
- When finished, give your pet a treat as a reward. Try your best to make this a positive experience for both of you, that way it will make it much more enjoyable and not such a struggle.
- Ideally home dental care should be performed several times weekly to maintain a healthy mouth.
- We also have a water additive that helps to prevent plaque build-up and it really is as simple as adding it to your pet’s water (I promise we are not joking and we can all find a few seconds for this). Call us today to find out more and set up a complimentary dental exam with one of our Licensed Technicians!
Below are some before and after pictures from a dental procedure performed here at Northwood.