Benefits of Spaying
- Greatly decreases the chance of developing mammary tumors, which is like breast cancer in people. Up to 50% of these tumors are malignant (cancer) and have no cure. With every heat cycle that she goes through, her risk of developing these tumors increases exponentially.
- Will not develop a pyometra later in life. A pyometra is a life threatening bacterial infection of the uterus that is brought on after repeated heat cycles.
- Will not experience the bloody vaginal discharge that comes with being in heat.
- Will not experience dystocia. Dystocia occurs when there is difficulty with the birthing process because the normal process of labor and delivery fails. This requiring medical treatment and possibly a c-section.
- Will not develop cancer of the reproductive organs.